In today's world, where the people are running at a vast pace the technology also evolving at the same speed. We know that the changes are required to build better versions of applications. In the field of the IT sector, the same is applied to stand in the market otherwise you will be cornered. This points to the Angular.JS which has wide changes within a gap of the few years. In 2009, Google developed the angular.JS for the first time but released it after 3 years in 2012. In last 7-8 years, Angular.JS has evolved immensely. Started from version 1.0 advanced up to version 1.7, the Angular developed company has added many features and improving it constantly. That’s why Angular.JS is still running in the competition and leave all other frameworks behind. Although, we can’t guarantee the success in these fields as all are competing with each other to become best and useful. Here we talk about different versions of Angular.JS, their features and what is the improvement made in the updated versions.
What is Angular.JS?
Understanding the versions of Angular:
It is clear from above that Anguar.JS has released its 1st version in 2012, and after that, it continuously updating its versions and released approx. after a 1 year of a gap. Here we discuss all versions with details.
Angular.JS 1.0: It was the first version released by Google in the year 2012. Although, it may have many faults comparison to other versions still it had made its position in the industry at that time period. All version of Angular that has 1.x known as AngularJS which conceived back in 2009 but released in public on June 14th,2012. Here we present you some features of Angular.JS 1.0:
- Architecture: The architecture of Angular.JS is based on the MVC which is Model-View-Control.
- SEO: In AngularJS, it is very difficult to develop the SEO friendly single page applications for users. But in later versions, the team tries to handle this problem and get succeeded.
- Communication: If you talk about the communication process between the components, then AngularJS is fast and smooth as a comparison with other versions. This makes highly easy for developers to interface and works with it.
These are some properties of AngularJS which may be not efficient for the developers. So, a company decides to update it with more features and release the next version after a couple of years.
- Architecture: The architecture of Angular 2.0 is based on service/controller where components and directives have replaced controllers and $scope. The main purpose of the change is to deal with the view and logic of the page. There are two types of directives:
A. Structural Directives: These directives help in altering the layout of DOM by replacing and removing its elements.
B. Attribute Directives: These directives change the behavior and appearance of DOM elements.
- Language: Unlike AngularJS, it uses TypeScript language to write the code which is the superset of ECMAscript6. This makes it better because it has the combined features of Typescript such as declarations and of ESMA like iterations.
- Reusability: In Angular 2, the components are sorted building blocks of application, which enables the users to reuse the code in the future.
- Testing: If we talk about testing, it is easier in Angular 2.0, as the components promote proficiency and smoothness. This takes less time for unit testing.
- Performance: In comparison to speed, Angular 2.0 provides better structure to maintain the big applications of mobile and web. In addition to that, it also provides a better change detection mechanism for applications.
- Mobile-Oriented: Besides all of the above, Angular 2.0 also supports mobile applications whereas AngularJS don’t support.
These are the main features of Angular 2.0 which makes developers to choose it. After this, the team has released the next version of Angular which is Angular 4.0.
Angular 4.0: No version three! Yeah, Google decides to skip version 3 to avoid any confusion and went straight to version 4. Well, no need to think about that. We focus on version 4, its compatibility with the other two versions and its enhanced features. Angular 4 is the latest version but it has no major differences with Angular 2.0. In short, we can say that it is backward compatibility of Angular 2.0 as it is equipped with better resources and comes with finer detailing for least commotions, faster reflexes, better user interaction, and good results. The features of Angular 4.0 are shown below.
- Architecture: The architecture of Angular 4.0 I similar to Angular 2.0 which means that it also supports service/controller. In it, the only change is in structural derivatives which is that the nglf and ngFOR derivatives have been improved. In conjunction with this, you can use if else syntax with templates.
- Language: Like Angular 2.0, Angular 4.0 also compatible TypeScript but with more powerful features such as object-oriented and type checking. It supports Typescript 2.1 and Typescript 2.2 which help it to use more advanced features.
- AOT: In Angular 4.0, the size of AOT stands for Ahead of Time has been reduced. This makes highly smooth to work on Angular 4.0 comparison to others.
- Mobile support: Angular 4.0 is mobile-oriented similar to Angular 2.0.
- Performance: If we talk about performance, Angular 4.0 is the fastest version of all. This version is upgraded to increase the speed and better improvement in Dependency Injection.
After a one-year gap, Google upgraded this version and launched version 5.0 with enhanced features.
Angular 5.0: Launched in November 2017, Angular 5.0 was released with the motto that makes it faster, smaller, lighter and easily usable. The Angular team focused to make web apps easier on Angular 5.0. In addition to that, the team also added the material design compatibilities. To make it fast, the bundles are introduced to improve the loading time. The upgrade to this version is incremental as many changes are made invisible. The new features added to Angular 5.0 are explained below:
- Language: Like Angular, it also supports TypeScript but with an improved version. This means it is compatible with Typescript 2.4 with improvements such as weak type detection, stricter type checking and many more.
- PWA: Before Angular 5.0, the progressive Web applications are handled very carefully. They are highly checked during development and deployment. But now, the development of PWA is very smooth and can be created by default. This provides advantages to both developers as well as users.
- Tree shaking: By working on the tree shaking, the size of developed applications is reduced. The AOT is also accelerated to reduce built time and to support incremental builds.
- Sharing: Angular 5.0 also supports the sharing between the client side and server side. The team introduces Angular Universal Transfer API and DOM to share the application state.
- Build Optimizer: With the help of Build Optimizer, Angular 5.0 eliminates the useless code of your application and make it lighter, smaller and easily understandable.
- Whitespace: In Angular 5.0, you have the option to preserve whitespace for your applications. This may help you to keep your code well-defined, well-arranged and easily readable.
- Pipes: Angular 5.0 comes with new dates, number, and currency pipes which help in increasing standardization across browsers. Hence no need to depend on i18n polyfills. Instead, it relied on browser i18n APIs to provide the date, number, and currency.
- Routing: In this, it enables the developer to track the route from the starting until the completion of the activity.
- Décor: Lambda expressions are used to improve the decor in Angular 5.0 while the use of nomenclatures and naming functions is reduced.
These features make Angular 5.0 more efficient and easy to use. After Angular 5.0, Angular 6.0 also released in the industry.
Angular 6.0: The 6th version was released with more focusing on toolchains. This version tried to help developers to create web applications more easily and smoothly. Angular 6.0 has come out with extravagant features especially, in the Angular-CLI. With Angular 6.0, you can do many things such as updating old packages, creative native web apps and many more. Here, we show you the newly added features in Angular 6.0:
- ng add: To download and install new packages in your applications, the new command ng add has introduced. This command is added in Angular-CLI and works similar to npm but couldn’t replace it.
- ng update: Like ng add, one more command ng update has been added which help to upgrade your packages. In addition to update and peer dependencies, it will apply needed transforms for you project.
- Angular Elements: The release of Angular Element mainly focused on allowing you to bootstrap Angular components. In this, you are able to render your elements as native web elements, and embedded as HTML elements.
- Library: Now, In Angular 6.0 you can enjoy the latest version of the Rxjs library with new features.
- Performance: The angular team is now more focusing on performance, so added features that enable developers to create PWA’s easily and providing a good environment in which it is easy to work with.
- Build Library: The utmost feature which is requested a feature for CLI Is it support to create and build the libraries. Bundle: To make the application smaller, they have enhanced the bundle service. In this, the modules reference services are moved to services references modules.
- LST: The team has expanded the long-term support to all the major releases of Angular.
Check out few Basic interview Questions and answers on Angular 6.0
After the Angular 6.0, the team introduced the latest version Angular 7.0 which was released recently. Adding new features and benefits, the team has set an example to remain updated in the industry.
Angular 7.0: Angular 7.0 has released. The wait is over. This version launched on October-November 2018. It has new features for advancing toolchain and enabled major partner launches. This version spans the entire platform that includes core frameworks, Angular elements, Angular Material and the CLI with the latest versions. The adopters of v7 reported that this is the fastest version ever and has the ability to download all apps in just less than 10 minutes.
The new features added are:
- CLI prompt: While installing a new application, the Angular 7.0 will ask the users or prompt the users to whether they want to add built-in features like routing and SCSS scripts in their applications.
- Size: Angular 7.0 has set the bundle size of 2Mb and for error is 5Mb. It warns developers if the size of applicants exceeds the limit with the help of Bundle Budget feature of Angular CLI. This is the value that can be changed in the angular.json file.
- CDK: The new features have added in the CDK Component Dev Kit of angular material. The newly added features are virtual scrolling, Drag & Drop.
- Dependency Updates: This version is compatible with transcript 3.1 and RxJS6.3 having the advantage of new features.
- Angular Elements: In Angular 7.0, the elements support content projections for content elements by using web standards.
Until now, total 7 versions have been released having enhanced features. By comparing each version, we find that they are different from each other in some way. The successor versions come up with better offerings and advancements in comparison to pre-cursor versions. The updated versions have been enhanced with new features and improved performance. You can check the difference between the latest version and the first version and find out that how the performance has been improved. It is inevitable that by the time more features will be introduced and more smoothly we can implement Angular.