However, you are on the right page if you do not have an idea of what Node JS is and why it is used then it is all about that. Let us now discuss all the related points one by one for better understanding:
Brief Idea of Node JS:
Below are the few advantages that come from Node JS:
- Event-driven and asynchronous: Every API of Node JS are asynchronous or non-blocking in simple terms which means Node JS-based servers never wait for an API to return the data.
- Single-threaded yet highly scalable: It follows a single-threaded model with event looping. Node JS is even highly scalable as the event mechanism helps the server to perform in a non-blocking way by making the server highly scalable, unlike the traditional servers that create limited threads to handle all the client requests.
- Less buffering: Another amazing feature is Node JS applications never buffer any data. It cuts down the overall processing time even while unloading audio or video files.
- License: It was released under the MIT license.
What is ORM in Node JS?
ORM tool or Object Relational Mapping tool is a computer programming technique or a framework that is used to map, convert and manipulate an object or data to that of a relational database in your computer. ORM is such a computer science technology that helps developers in maintaining a steady view of the objects even when the sources and applications they access tend to change over time. In the world of computer programming, Java professionals previously used the techniques of JDBC for data persistence that only includes writing and executing SQL statements to update particular data in the database. Although this JDBC approach was quite popular, the SQL statements were difficult to read, write and troubleshoot.
ORM or commonly known as Object Relational Mapping flourished into the picture to make computer programming easier with fewer mistakes. Professional developers can easily build an object model without writing any kinds of SQL statements and they convert or retrieve the data from the database and transfer it into the object model they have made. This is how ORM works precisely.
Benefits of using ORM:
- ORM mechanism helps to improve the system performance.
- It is an upgraded solution that makes every application run smoothly and fast, maintaining quality easily.
- ORM contains much fewer codes as compared to SQL statements and other handwritten stored operations.
- Being an object-to-table and table-to-object makes ORM result in lower maintenance and development charges or costs.
Pros and Cons of using ORM in Node JS:
In this technical world, everything has its own advantages and disadvantages no matter how perfect the system looks. Similarly, there are few major pros and cons of using ORM in Node JS. Let us now discuss all the primary pros and cons below:
Pros of using ORM in Node Js:
- Commonly used tabs support: The developers get extended support from various commonly used tabs or tools. For example, if the developers wish to test the source of code of the application in Node js, they can do it by using the Jasmin and other similar unit-testing tools.
Cons of using ORM in Node JS
- Unstable APIs: This is one of the common drawbacks that the developers face while using Node JS. Application Programming Interface or API is not a stable one rather it tends to change every now and then.
- Lacks a strong library support system: Node JS does not have a proper library system compared to other computer programming languages which have inbuilt well-equipped library support system. As a result, the developers take help from the common library for tasks like processing of the image, handling database operations, ORM etc.
- Asynchronous programming model: According to many developers, the asynchronous programming model is much more complicated than linear blocking I/O programming as it makes the code look messy.
- Not for any complex web application: Node JS never supports both multi-threading programming
Best Node JS ORM that you can use in your next project:
- Sequelize: Sequelize is another promise-based ORM for Node JS which supports common dialects like MySQL, SQLite, MSSQL and others and it features solid transaction supports, relations along with reading replication and few more.
- CaminteJS: It is a CrossDB ORM in Node JS and allows access to the most popular database formats.
- NodeORM2: NodeORM2 can be regarded as the object relation manager for Node JS. It also works with MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQLite.