PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) is an open source, a server-side scripting language that is used for the web applications development.
The web pages can be designed using HTML and the execution of the code is done on the user’s browser.
And, with PHP server-side scripting language, the code is executed on the server before being executed on the web browser of the user.
PHP programming language is considered as a friendly language with abilities to easily connect with Oracle, MySQL, and many other databases.
Uses and Application Areas of PHP
PHP scripts are used on popular operating systems like Linux, UNIX, Solaris, Windows, MAC OS, Microsoft and on many other operating systems. It supports many web servers that include Apache and IIS.
The use of PHP affords web developers the freedom to choose the operating system and the web server.
The following main areas of web development use the PHP programming language.
- Command line scripting In this area of web development, with just the use of PHP parser, the PHP script is executed with no requirement of any server program or browser. This type of use of the PHP script is normally employed for simple and easy processing tasks.
- Server-side scripting Server-side scripting is the main area of operation of PHP scripts in PHP. The following are involved in Server-side scripting:
- Web server – It is a program that executes the files from web pages, from user requests.
- Web browser – It is an application that is used to display the content on WWW (World Wide Web).
- PHP parser – It is a program that converts the human-readable code into a format that is easier to understand by the computer.
- Desktop Application Development PHP is also used to create the client-side application such as desktop applications. They are usually characterized by the GUI (Graphic User Interface). The client-side applications can be developed with knowledge of using the advanced features like PHP-GTK.
Advantages of PHP
Now, let's have a quick look at why PHP is used; that is the advantages of PHP.
- Open Source
PHP is an open source software, which means that it is freely available for modifications and redistribution, unlike any other programming language. There is also an active team of PHP developers who are ready to provide any kind of technical support when needed.
- Cross Platform
The PHP programming language is easy to use and modify and is also highly compatible with the leading operating systems as well as the web browsers. And, that made the deployment of the applications across a wide range of operating systems and browsers much easier than before.
PHP not only supports the platforms like Linux, Windows, Mac OS, Solaris but is also applied to web servers like Apache, IIS and many others.
- Suits Web Development
PHP programming language perfectly suits the web development and can be directly embedded into the HTML code.
Also Read: PHP Interview Questions